Friday, June 24, 2005

A movie review and some other things.

Umm Warriors of Heaven and Earth. Not bad. Nothing suprising, really, but for some cool camera work at points. Very well-told story, if a mite pedestrian. I mean as pedestrian as you can be with chinese swordsmen. Most everyone stays on the ground which avoids me worrying over the public's acceptance of wire-work. I don't mind it, but it may have been overdone recently. Not that this movie just came out, only I just rented it. Wanted to see it for awhile. Fair flick. But all in all I'm not ashamed that I didn't pay my own money for it. It's not epic or anything. A few camera angles that I'd love to copy, and the whole thing was remarkable for its restraint from most outlandish things. There are one or two scenes, but they are supposed to involve supernatural occurences, so they aren't minded. The rest of the movie is totally believable for normal humans who have practiced swordplay for 10-odd years. And are in a movie. They don't overdo the female lead's femininity, nor her surprising ability to fight even though (gasp) she's a gIRL! There is no forced romance, no awkward love triangle (despite the opportunities). I think my favorite scene is the one that goes like this (remembering that this movie is set in ancient China):

"I can't place your accent - I'm trying to figure out what part of China you're from"
"I'm not from China - I'm Japanese"
"Japan? Where's that?"

All in all, relatively down to earth, except for the divine intervention type sequences. So um I guess that Warriors of Heaven and Earth is actually the perfect title. Good job guys.

The summer beard has begun. Luke is still the cutest thing on the planet. Ever until. As in he's the cutest thing ever, and I will believe that until I have kids of my own.

Go Pistons. Except they lost so that's really too bad but I was rooting for them. Robert Horry deserved the MVP for the Spurs but Tim Duncan will always be their 'superstar'.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home