Saturday, August 06, 2005

I have a crush

Drew Barrymore, people. How does one person flawlessly combine cute/innocent with cute/hot? But she is getting older and trying to abandon her "childish" image, so then I guess we won't be seeing much more of her as I like her. Actually I keep thinking back to the movies she's been in, and I have a problem with almost all of them - Ever After is an only-half-bad remake of a tired story, and she uses a fake accent (I really don't like fake accents); 50 first dates is a desecration of a fascinating topic, most fascinatingly explored in Memento, but Drew and Adam Sandler paste over it with the colors of romantic comedy; I can't even believe she made Fever Pitch, and deserves to be hit in the head with a baseball for that one; She is cute in Charlie's Angels and does kung fu (always a bonus as far as I'm concerned) but it's Charlie's Angels! Way to jump on a giant commercial bandwagon and look like a sell-out, Drew honey; Confessions of a Dangerous Mind was a fantastic movie, in which Drew and Julia Roberts both look way better than they usually do (JR has a mouth like a horse and does not deserve to be the woman pretty enough to steal for in Ocean's Eleven although I will grudgingly allow that she is a prostitute worth marrying in Pretty Woman only because she acted the role so well); I finally realized that the one movie where I have absolutely nothing but ravingly positive things to say about Drew's performance is Titan A.E. - a beautiful and underappreciated animation extravaganza that also includes the voice of Janeane Garofalo. Bet you had to look that up to see if I spelled it right. It's ok, so did I.

So. What I like about Drew Barrymore is her voice, it turns out. Many of her performances have some great lines and I love to hear her talk. And she kind of does this bite-her-lip and smile thing that is pretty sexy, too. But her voice is the main thing. She could talk to me on any subject and I would just close my eyes and be absolutely lost. Whereas Janeane Garofalo could talk to me at length on any subject and make me believe her. What a fascinating mind she has, and married to such a sparky personality and quirky wit - I only ever watched a few episodes of MTV's Daria, with JG voicing the title character, but I loved it. Between knowing the real Janeane was behind Daria, and loving the fictional brother/sister of Trent and Jane Lane, I think that is one of my favorite animated shows of all time.

So yeah Drew Barrymore and Janeane Garofalo. a-e-a-e, a-o-a-o. That's how you remember the spelling, folks. Just throw in the obvious consonants and you've got it just fine.

2 Comments:

At 9:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I dislike Janeane Garofalo in general, but one of my best friends since I was twelve is like a real life Daria (the similarities are really uncanny) and I did like Daria. Lots. As for Drew Barrymore, I'm with you on your assessment. Great voice, not many great movies.

 
At 1:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, and when you add consonants to e-i-e-i, you know what you get?

but seriously, she's not good enough for you, honey

 

Post a Comment

<< Home