Saturday, October 15, 2005

I have a 10-year-old brother

This is a good thing because he is a member of the LEGO Club. If it weren't for him, I'd have to join myself and that's an expense I can't afford right now ;) But I do love reading the catalogs. This most recent one excites me quite a bit because, in with the Bionicles and Harry Potter and the ever-evolving quirky business they come out with, I see some genuine old-school sets. And some new sets with a very "retro" feel to them. In fact, there's even an order form in the middle for ordering individual brick types in mass quantities. Old school indeed. Pure imagination, or recreation of simple every day objects. Thus is the imagination honed and sharpened without being overwhelmed. When one is building models of items that were created by someone else's imagination, and that habit an entirely other world, it is all too easy to let the imagination get caught up in the immense storytelling possibilities of the alternate universe. This is a great benefit and seems to be the focus of most recent LEGO sets. However, it does not hone the building creativity and design potential of the individual in the way that these sets used to do. It appears that they are still offering many of these old-fashioned, Earth-reality sets.

Also they have a scale model of the Death Star II. The work that goes into designing a LEGO set that is not a recreation of a finished project, but of an unfinished work-in-progress, girders protruding seemingly at random into Lucas' star-filled space...this is a mental feat of genius for which I must thank the people at LEGO.

AND they have a feature on their website where you can design your own set, brick by brick, and then have them actually build the set, package it, and ship it to your door to build in real life. It is a breakthrough of immense implications. If LEGO, after years of languishing in shallow, formulaic, consumer-driven entertainment has returned to its roots and then built mighty edifices of new product upon that old foundation, what other establishments of pop culture might follow similar trends? Television? Radio? Movies? Coffee shops? Rock 'n' Roll? Politics? Economics? Gas Prices?

Seriously, a look at the path of the LEGO mindset over the past twenty years parallels that of our culture as a whole over a slightly longer period. If the LEGO cycle doesn't match our culture's cycle perfectly, then I would say that is proof of the fact that all life follows cycles at least, whether they are the same cycle or not. And so our pop culture will cycle back where it belongs, passing through a narrow band of acceptability before plunging out of view like Halley's comet. If we are blessed like Mark Twain to see it twice in our lives, we should thank God and tell our kids.

5 Comments:

At 8:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've always been pleased with the way that LEGO listens to their fans. I'm sure that they heard from more than a few people on their descent in recent years into making sets that consisted of about 20 pieces, most of which were obviously custom molded to only one use: building the model on the box they came in.

Even when I was a child, I found that I was more interested in the building process than I was in playing with the finished products. That's why these sets that are ridiculously simple to build do not appeal to me at all, and why I would never buy them for my children or siblings.

Luckily, through it all LEGO has always had a few sets for people that like to actually build things with Legos. The Star Wars Ultimate Collector sets, to which the Death Star is the most recent addition, are classic examples. I have three of them ;-).

However, as I was building my 1,300 piece X-Wing set the other night, I realized that my current passion is really for Technic Legos, and the reason is that they are so fun to build. With the Star Wars sets, you are building something so that it will look good when it is done. That's all well and good, but it can get tedious: building the four practically identical wings on my X-Wing set got kind of old. With Technic Legos, I get to see how all the gears and pneumatic pistons fit together as I am building, and can marvel at Lego's engineering as it all comes together to make a realistic looking thingy that actually works.

Lately, I've found myself poring over the Lego catalog for long stretches of time, just looking at the Technic sets and trying to see if I can figure out how they work. It's one small way in which I revert to my childhood, and the hours I used to spend daydreaming about my next Lego set.

I certainly hope that Lego keeps listening to their fans and continues to produce sets that are challenging to build. I can't wait to give Technic Legos (ages 9-14) to my kids when they are 6, just so I can watch their brains tick.

 
At 9:56 PM, Blogger Suz said...

As with many of your talentless hack style entries, this one also originated where the sun don't shine. How dare you sully the name of LEGO with consumerism? They're ORIGINAL! Not sellouts!

Anonymous, you need to start a blawg.

 
At 9:58 PM, Blogger Suz said...

PS JK. You know that. They totally pander. Long live the Technics, at least I know Bulldog is doing something valuable with his time. ;-) You should see him play--he's SO cute.

 
At 7:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did I ever tell you about the time I dreamed I was a LEGO block?

Not even a LEGO man. I was a BLOCK.

It was quite an odd dream.

Oh, by the way, I'm thinking about moving to Richmond. I have a friend who might be able to rent me a room, blah blah blah, etc. etc. thought you might be interested to know, if you hadn't seen it in my xanga yet.

 
At 10:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So you have not yet heard about my boyfriend, I think! He was down this weekend and told me about a LEGO case mod. Not quite sure if that's the exact link he was thinking of, since I just now searched for it, but it is cool! Also he told me about LEGO actually connected to various bits of internal hardware and this is approximately the sexiest thing ever.


And speaking of the Death Star! He brought movies and I've now seen Ep. IV and half of V. YODA IS FREAKING AWESOME.

-Seung Mina
(who is now done geeking)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home