Friday, December 23, 2005

Fur coats and pine trees

I wish I had a wardrobe. I wish I could see a lamppost in the forest. I want to see Father Christmas and get a Narnian sword. I want to kneel before Aslan and stand in Cair Paravel. I want to taste Lucy's cordial. I want to meet a centaur. I want to go to Narnia where I can live a hundred years and not miss a second of this world.

I have come as close as any of us can. And I am happy.

I must start this week's movie previews off with the strongest possible recommendation for the Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. If you have read these books, see this movie. I grew up reading them as a child, and last night's movie literally had me at the edge of tears when it was done. To SEE finally what I had imagined since my younger days, and to see it so beautifully, was an absolutely magical experience for me. I was transported not only to Narnia but to my childhood again. This movie was so powerfully effective I couldn't stop smiling until long after the last credits had rolled. I hope it is as excellent for you.

Movies opening this weekend probably pale in comparison but let's take a look, shall we?

Munich: An interesting take on a somewhat familiar tragedy - rather than spending the whole movie building up to what we already know will happen, this movie gives us the satisfaction of seeing justice taken out after the horrible events at the Munich Olympics. Eric Bana has acted in some good roles but royally failed to impress me yet, especially in the Hulk. But I'll admit that's more due to my missing out than his lack of talent, so I think he'll make this one quite exciting. It will be good for an audience fed tragedy after tragedy by the media to see some full-screen resolution for this one.

Memoirs of a Geisha: Anything involving Asian culture catches my eye. Anything involving Zhang Ziyi catches my eye. As a teacher and Asian culture enthusiast I'm ecstatic for my fellow Americans to have a chance to learn about a facet of Japanese culture that is almost universally misunderstood in the west. My own awareness of cultures other than my own is limited, to be sure, but East is the direction I tend to be facing when I feel the most woe for America's self-centered narrow mindedness. The book is apparently memorable for being the result of one American gaining unprecedented access to the world of the geisha, and writing an eye-opening account of what he found. Hopefully the movie will open a few eyes, as well. And if it doesn't, Zhang Ziyi will. Zhang's costar from Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, Michelle Yeoh will be by her side again. Ken Watanabe from the Last Samurai is also featured. These are recommendations meant to impress my shallow American readers (aka gaijin). Also a new face (for me) - following a performance in 2046 (an artistic piece by the latest Asian to make a name in American indie theater) we will see the lovely Li Gong here as well. So, Americans, let the geisha's charms entice you into an experience that will enlighten you...

and opening on Christmas day:

The Producers: I am absolutely convinced that this will be a highly successful remake in a year of very questionable ones. The cast is perfectly picked and more importantly terribly enthusiastic about doing excellent work in this tribute to Mel Brooks' Broadway SMASH hit. Uma Thurman unveils luscious beauty that she's been restraining for recent roles, Will Farrell imbues his comedy with respectability by adding impressive singing and dancing, and the lead pair of Nathan Lane and Matthew Broderick are unstoppable forces on a laugh track to box office success (how's that for mixing metaphors). As a "movie buff" I would feel bad seeing this one without seeing the original, but that's probably just me. As with most of broadway, there's no reason for you to know the plot before you enter the theater. Not to say the plot isn't the point. It's just not the front-most selling feature of the show. There are so many much more glorious reasons to see this movie. I'm gonna have a tough time deciding this weekend.

And an important weekend it is. I'm driving seven hours on Monday to take my girlfriend on our first date and I've got to pick one of these movies? Or the other Broadway crossover, Rent (one of her favorites). Or King Kong? Or Kiss Kiss Bang Bang which I have been waiting since I recommended it to go and see (though it's probably out of theaters by now). Or possibly we could go watch Chronicles of Narnia together (she almost cried, too)? Too many choices, only one girlfriend...not to say that's not the way I like it ;)

If you see Donna Szabo today, tell her she's stunningly attractive!

1 Comments:

At 9:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

too too cute! ;o) (and thank you!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home