Friday, January 06, 2006

Your weekend at a glance

Quickly then, we have much ground to cover:

Bloodrayne: look, video game movies will never be good. This really sucks cause I love video games and I wish someone would make a good movie out of one, but it will never happen. Comic book movies are much more likely. The point is, don't bother with this one unless you have an affinity for the game that makes you want to see it purely for the sake of your fandom. If you think it will be good because you think the game is good, you are wrong. If you think the game is so good that it justifies even the crappiest movie, go see it. But then if you think that, you don't need me to tell you.

Munich - I already said this would be wonderfully cathartic for many people and I still do. I guess it wasn't a nationwide release when I reviewed it before, but now it is, or something. Still go see it, but don't take the kids!

Hostel - a movie so terribly violent that Quentin Tarantino (Kill Bill, Pulp Fiction, Resevoir Dogs) paid money to make sure it was shown in this country. Here are things QT has put in his own movies: people buried alive, people witnessing their parents gruesome deaths, people having ears sliced off, people receiving adrenaline shots to the heart to cure a cocaine-induced seizure, people doing very graphic things that it would be wrong for me to describe to you. Now he is a big fan of a movie that is centered around the torture of people. No reason to put yourself through this one. Not that I don't respect QT as a filmmaker a great deal and I've actually enjoyed his movies despite the disturbing scenes I mentioned. But this isn't one of his films.

Grandma's Boy - looks like another comedy that works because it pushes small oddities of dork reality in our face, like Napoleon Dynamite, while reaping big comic rewards from classic subjects: old women, video game nerds, and potheads. My brother wants to see this one, but then, you know how he is...

no he doesn't smoke pot.

The Matador: Ok this one snuck under my radar so you're getting a really raw impression here, but...ok yeah wow nice loved the trailer. Pierce Brosnan with that James Bond wit that he doesn't get to use anymore, well now he gets to use it again. Um assassin meets businessman whose life sucks and helps him get a job then the assassin gets in bad with his bosses so they want to kill him so he goes to the business man for help and then has to fit into the businessman's normal life and so it's funny stuff. I guess. I'll probably watch it.

Ok that's all for now folks, now get off your duffs and go WATCH A MOVIE!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home